The Student News Site of Palomar College

The Telescope

The Telescope

The Telescope

Football scrimmage sets the stage for a promising season

Palomar football team gets last minute instructions prior to taking the field and playing Riverside in a Scrimmage at the Chick Embrey Field in the Wilson Stadium at Escondido High School on Aug. 27, 2016. (Johnny Jones/The Telescope)

Football season is finally upon us.

Palomar went head-to-head against the Riverside Tigers in a one 20 minute quarter scrimmage followed by Palomar and Riverside’s second and third string offenses and defenses using the two halves of the field to run plays against each other to test each player’s strengths and weaknesses before opening day.

Palomar head coach Joe Early was relieved that all of his athletes came out of the scrimmage uninjured.

“I’m excited,” said Early. “You know we got out of this scrimmage healthy. We went against a Riverside team that’s always very good and I think we held our own and I’m really looking forward to getting it going with our home opener.”

Early says he thinks he is going to have a lot more go-to players this season than he has the previous three or four seasons.

Early’s 2016 roster consists of only 10 returning players and 62 new players who Early says are all hungry and doing the right thing.

Among those 62 new athletes is quarterback Matt Romero of Oceanside High School.

Romero started off the game slow. Making four completions in 13 passes while only getting 8 passing yards, but following that slump, Romero gained momentum and made six completions in eight passes for 136 yards with three of those completions going into the endzone.

Romero said it felt good getting that first touchdown pass and gaining the confidence he needed to drive his offense to two more.

Palomar’s receivers helped out crucially with Romero’s 6-for-8 hot streak with great route running and catching.

“I think our receivers are all very athletic,” said Romero. “They all go up and get the ball and they are all pretty physical.”

Early says Romero doesn’t have a lot of experience being a grayshirt quarterback, but if the Comets can surround Romero with a great offensive line and receivers and if he can make the right decisions each play, he will have a very bright future ahead of him.

Palomar finished the 2015 season with a 4-6 record, but Early believes 2016 is looking promising and he is looking forward to what his athletes can achieve this season.

Palomar starts game one of the season at home against the Southwestern Jaguars on Saturday Sept. 3 at 4 p.m. at Escondido high school.

Gallery: Football vs. Riverside City College: Aug. 27